10 reasons why Organizations have to inculcate the culture of Lean Six Sigma
Even before we explore into the ten reasons; let us understand the high level overview of Lean and Six Sigma.
Lean is when you have a problem, you know the root cause and can implement the solutions immediately. Lean focuses on reducing NVA’s, Waste and implementation of the solution accelerates the processes velocity.
Lean was initially implemented in Ford, Toyota. The value of lean is defined clearly on the activities/services for which the customer is willing to pay that is defined as Value Add and identifying activities/services for which the customer is not willing to pay. Lean helps us in doing VA-NVA analysis as a result we reduce as many NVA’s as possible and also convert NVA’s to VEA (Value Enabling Activity) due to which customers delight in the product increases.
The Eight Wastes which Lean focuses on eliminating can be broadly classified as DOWNTIME:
D – Defects
O – Overproduction
W – Waiting
N – Non Utilized
T – Transportation
I – Inventory
M – Motion
E – Excess Processing
Six Sigma is when you have a problem, you have multiple causes for the problem and do not know the root cause; since we do not know the root cause; solution cannot be implemented. This needs us to understand every single cause identified with the help of data to identify critical causes.
Six Sigma targets to reduce defects and reduce variation in the process. Hence the processes as a result become more consistent and predictable in their performance.
Six Sigma was initially implemented by Motorola, General Electric. Six Sigma decodes into 99.999997% quality or yield. Lean and Six Sigma places the Customer first for any process improvement initiatives which embraces data to make factual decisions in your business.
Here are many reasons to consider Lean Six Sigma in your business. Some are very factual and valid. Here comes the 10 critical reasons every Organization has to implement Lean Six Sigma in their business:
- Lean Six Sigma is applicable for every business that focuses customer deliverables
- It is a data driven and a factual approach that reflects mirror image of your business
- Implementation of Lean Six Sigma can impact your business and customer in less than 3 months
- Employees of the organization can be certified and rewarded as Green Belts / Black Belts and Master Black Belts respectively.
- Lean Six Sigma can be implemented irrespective of the employee size of the company
- Lean Six Sigma does not have boundaries; this can be implemented in any business, industry
- Lean Six Sigma involves statistics however Lean Six Sigma professionals are not expected to be statisticians. Any individual can undergo the training in Lean Six Sigma and implement a project in their area of work and/or business and/or line of business
- Lean and Six Sigma coming together creates magic in the process
- Transformation projects can be achieved in a methodological way with the help of DMADV or DFSS in Lean Six Sigma
- Implementation of Lean Six Sigma will assure high levels of Customer Satisfaction and Employee Satisfaction impacting top line strategic goals of the company.
The Question now is:
When will every single company in this world implement Quality Concepts and Lean Six Sigma Concepts in their business?